Have you been struggling to develop quality content that drives your audience to act? If so, a copywriter may be the solution you need.
What is a copywriter?
So, what exactly is a copywriter and what do they do?
Simply put, a copywriter creates engaging content that spurs a reader into action. That content is called “copy” which is just a fancy way of saying text. When compared to other forms of marketing content, you’ll find copywriters specialize in creating simple, straightforward copy designed to spark engagement.
It often consists of a short, but powerful tagline that draws the reader in and a paragraph or two of well-focused content that communicates the company’s message and purpose. Think billboards, magazine advertisements, and pages of business websites.
When the copy is effective, it results in the reader doing something such as signing up for a service or purchasing a product.
Where to Find a Copywriter
If you’ve never hired a copywriter before, you may not know where to look. To help you get started, here are three places to find a copywriter.
Network Connections & Referrals
Networking is a great way to make connections with people in a variety of industries. The best part? Those connections can be a resource for recommendations. Reach out to your network of trusted professionals and see if they know any copywriters that would be a good fit for your project.
Speaking of network connections…
LinkedIn is one of the best places to start forming a network. Not only can you connect with industry professionals but you can also use the platform to search for potential copywriters. Browse through your peer’s connections for a copywriter, put a call out to your connections for recommendations, or simply use the search tool. You’ll end up with a list of potential candidates and have immediate access to their work history and other pertinent information.
Google is an excellent way to search for an experienced copywriter. It’s not quite as refined as LinkedIn but it will help you easily locate copywriters. If location matters, be sure to include it in your search.
5 Tips for Hiring a Copywriter
Finding a copywriter is the easy part. Finding the right copywriter can prove to be more difficult. Why? Not all copywriters are created equal. Use these five tips to help you find a copywriter that can help you reach your goals.
1. If you’re not willing to work with less experienced copywriters, it’s best to avoid platforms like Upwork and Fiverr. These platforms are saturated with new and inexperienced writers.
2. Know what type of copywriter you want to hire. There are many different types of copywriters who specialize in different niches. How do you know what type of copywriter you need? Analyze your goals! What are you hoping the copy will achieve? The answer will help you determine what type of copywriter to hire.
3. Always review the copywriter’s portfolio for samples of their work. Their portfolio can tell you a number of things. From the quality of work to writing style, past work will tell you if they’re a good fit for your business.
4. Hire a copywriter with experience in your industry. Hiring a copywriter with an understanding of the industry can save you a headache down the road. An expert will know how the industry works, what’s expected, and have an understanding of the proper terminology.
5. Don’t be afraid to ask for references. While a copywriter isn’t your employee, you’re trusting them to provide top-notch service. Most copywriters will have testimonials listed on their website but you can go a step further and ask for a reference or two.
There you have it! With these tips, you’ll be able to find a copywriter in no time.